Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

what are the maximum dimensions for an outbuilding / shed before

what are the maximum dimensions for an outbuilding / shed before planning permission is required

Thanks for your patience.

This is governed by “permitted development rights” under Town and Country Planning legislation. You can carry out permitted development rights on your property without the need to apply for planning permission.

Therefore, provided that the outbuilding/shed falls within the acceptable permitted development rights you will not have to apply for planning permission.

The main restrictions are contained on the government’s guide to outbuildings, contained here:-

You should find that this answers all of the questions as to dimensions that you have

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,