Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

just sold my house but the buyer wants to do work on the house

just sold my house but the buyer wants to do work on the house on exchange of contracts and would like me and my family to move out before exchange.

Thanks for your patience.

If you have exchanged contracts in the sale then your contractual obligation is to give vacant possession (ie. To move out) on completion. You are not under any legal obligation to give them possession before the date for completion or required to let them in to do any works.

If you have exchanged contracts then they are under a contractual obligation to complete the purchase at the exchange date. This will not be affected if you refuse their request.

It is entirely up to you whether or not to do this but I would always advise against it. The Buyer could move in and cause damage then abscond and refuse to complete which would mean that your claim against them would become even more complicated.

If you moved out then you would also have to pay whatever it is for alternative accommodation.

There is no advantage at all to you agreeing to this if you have already exchanged contracts, frankly.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,