Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Im in the UK, and my tenancy agreement is about to finish.

I'm in the UK, and my tenancy agreement is about to finish. The landlord has sent me a new agreement to sign for another years tenancy agreement. In the agreement the monthy rent has gone up, but to my surprise, the landlord is asking for another deposit. Is this normal practice, i.e. get a deposit from the tenant every year which is roughly the value of 2 monthly rent payments?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

There is no actual law on this, it’s simply a matter for negotiation because you can either accept or reject his offer of a new tenancy at an increased rent and with an increased deposit.

It’s not uncommon for landlord’s to raise rent and it’s not uncommon for landlord’s to take 2 months worth for a deposit, but it is a bit uncommon for them to request more deposit for a renewal tenancy agreement when presumably they are now confident of the fact that you are a good tenant. However, there is absolutely nothing illegal in it..

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom