Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi My partner and I are looking to get a home together. My

Customer Question

Hi
My partner and I are looking to get a home together. My house is being rented whilst we are currently living in his apartment. He will buy the house outright, ie no mortgage involved but I want it to be in joint names with a written agreement that the equity he puts into the property is his and everything we make going forward is split 50/50.
He says "yes" to the written agreement as above but wants the property in his name only as he says I can claim half of all of the value if the relationship doesn't work out.
Emotion aside, my concern is that I wouldn't have any legal rights to anything if it is in his name only.
Could you please advise.
Regards
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

Are you married?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Ok.

Who is funding the purchase please? Him alone, or both of you?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He is.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Right.

Can you provide a bit more detail on what you mean when you say "everything we make going forward is split 50/50. " please?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm referring to any profit made on the property when we come to sell it, minus the initial purchase price, is split between us equally as we will both have been investing in the property together whilst we live there.

He has a daughter from his previous marriage and I have 2 daughters from my previous marriage, both of which were dissolved 20 and 13 years ago, respectively.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Drafting you answer now, ten minutes or so. Please be patience.

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks Tom.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Unmarried partners do not have any rights to their partner’s assets in general.

Thus, if the property were in your partners sole name and you split up then you would not be entitled to any financial settlement from him. So, yes you are right in one sense.

If you both wish to give you some security (although obviously he is under no obligation – save his sense of fairness – to advance you this) then you have two options:-

1) Purchase the property in joint names but with a declaration of trust. If you purchase the property in joint names as “Tenants in common” then execute a declaration of trust stating that either you have specified percentages of the equity, or that your partner should receive X amount from the proceeds of any sale and then you should thereafter receive percentage amounts from the balance.

If you own in this way then you can apply for an order for sale if the relationship breaks down. If you specify your interests by a declaration of trust then you could only claim the amount specified in the trust, not 50% (unless you specify this)
2) He purchases the property in his joint names but you execute a declaration of trust specifying the above in a similar way. The trust would be enforceable as above but it gives you slightly less security because he could effectively (if he were naughty) mortgage the property or sell it on his own.

If you subsequently marred then it would complicate things for him because financial settlement would be determined as a married couple which would be advantageous for you and disadvantageous for him

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your help Tom.

Regards

Jane

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.