Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My wife and I are 64 we built a property a bungalow in 1996

My wife and I are 64 we built a property a bungalow in 1996 We have since developed in the roof space giving us a further two beds and Ensuite in one We have not changed the volume of the house only putting Velux lights in the fear Elevation. Also we developed a room over a Double Garage again we did not alter volume merely velez lights on the rear elevation. We are situated just inside New Forest Park at Netley Marsh.
We need to sell it next year and are worried about consequences with New Forest Planners once purchasers do their searches Have you any thoughts or advice

Thanks Terry

When were the additional works completed please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They were completed in 1998
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
, They were completed in 1998

Thanks for your patience.

This will not present a problem .Even if there were a breach of planning law and that you should have applied for planning permission they local authority would not be time barred from taking enforcement action in respect of the works.

Planning departments must take such action within 10 years of the date the works were completed. Therefor they would not be able to take action now.

If you confirm when the works were carried out to the buyers solicitors that should be the end of it.

Local authorities are not time barred in respect of a breach of building regulations because these relate to safety. However, this can be sorted by agreeing to pay for a building regulations indemnity policy for the buyer. This should be around £50-100, so there’s no big loss.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,