How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7506
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my neighbour had to pay for a small access road what

This answer was rated:

One of my neighbour had to pay for a small access road what is placed in front of my garage to reach his backyard. I t has happened 14 years ago. We are talking about 5-6 metrs long "road". Now I am not allow to stop my car to clean it even because he starts shouting on me or my friends. What can I do with it? Should I go to the council to report it? What is the quickest way to solve this problem?

Who owns the piece of land?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My landlord.

Right, and is your neighbour objecting to you using the land?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is objecting if I stop my car or any of my friend who coming to visit to me. Once it happened I wanted to hoover my car it takes about 5-10 minutes but he did not let me even stop my car in front of my garage because my car was extend into this land.

Does the landlord object to you using this (his) land?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. This land belongs of my landlord's house but when my neighbour bought his house he has need to pay some money for this.

But, no I have right to use this land.


Thanks for your patience.

If the neighbour does not own the land and your landlord (who is the owner) does not object to your using the land) then your neighbour cannot object to you using the land providing it does not materially prevent his right of way.

If he can still access his land and exercise his right of way (if indeed he has one) then there is nothing he can legally do. It does not matter that he has spent money on it. It does not make it his.

The police and the local authority would not get in involved in this. It’s a civil matter.

I would ignore the neighbour. If his behaviour constitutes harassment then you could (I suppose) apply for a non-molestation order at county court to cease his behaviour but this would cost you money and, frankly, I would discourage this because people should be able to work these things out without burdening the Courts but the option is ultimately always there for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance (perhaps on making an application for a Spouse Visa which she will need to make before you return to settle here permanently) then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions