Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

There is a peice of land behind my garden that I have been

There is a peice of land behind my garden that I have been using as an extra peice of garden for the last 9 years the housing association now want the land back do I have any rights. I work for the same housing association.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If you have enclosed the land and looked after it for that length of time I’m afraid that you are not eligible to make a claim for the land under what is termed “adverse possession” to the Land Registry in order to have it registered in your name.

If the land in question is unregistered then you must have been using it continuously for 12 years in order to claim possession of it and be registered as the registered proprietor at the Land Registry

If the land is registered then you need only have been using it continuously for 10 years in order to apply for adverse possession at the Land Registry.

You obviously fall below the required amount of time in both cases.

In order to claim a right (eg. Right of way) over the land you would have to show that you have acquired a right of way by prescription, this is by long use and you would have to show that you have used it for 20 years. Obviously, this is not an option either.

I’m afraid that if they are not willing to sell you the land then there is nothing that you can do to prevent the association from recovering the land from you.

Sorry it could not be better news.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor