How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7581
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a landlord who recently terminated an agreement with a

This answer was rated:

I am a landlord who recently terminated an agreement with a letting agent who was managing my rental property because they were in breach of contract for not passing on money they had collected from the tenant. The tenancy agreement states that the deposit paid by tenant to the letting agent was paid into a government protected scheme but I have found out the at the agent has not actually done this. Both myself and the tenant have contacted and written to the letting agent on numerous occasions requesting them to return the deposit to the tenant so that I could place the money in a deposit scheme. The letting agent has failed to do so and continually promises to make payment on certain dates and fails to do so. This has been going on for almost three months. The letting agent is no longer contracted to manage my property but I am unsure how to recover the deposit the tenant has paid to the agent.

Thanks for your question.

You and the tenant together should write a formal letter to her stating the details of the deposit and that you require the money to be paid back within a reasonable time (eg 7-14 days). State that you will issue a claim at Court for the outstanding monies if necessary.

If no response is received then your only option is to issue a claim yourself through Her Majesty's Courts Service's online service . You and the tenant should both by the claimants in this matter. It's very straightforward to use and pretty cheap.

This website contains lots of useful information for issuing a claim yourself:-

If the agent does not react to the letters then suing is your only option, it’s not a criminal matter so the police won’t be interested. On the basis of what you have said the claim is completely straight forward though.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions