How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7054
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex partner and I bought a house jointly. After 6 months

Resolved Question:

My ex partner and I bought a house jointly. After 6 months he left me- I had to pay the mortgage plus all the other bills etc even the ones that where in his name for example furniture he had left so that i wouldnt have bailiffs knocking at me door. its now 2 years later and he wants me to pay him back the £7 deposit he put into the house. The house is now in negative equity and if we sold the house i have worked out that once the mortgage and estate agents fees where paid we would only recieve £2000 each. I don't want to sell my house. To get him to sign over the property solely to me do I have to pay him the £7000 or the £2000??
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

1) Did you execute a Declaration of Trust declaraing your percentage interests in the property or how each return of deposit should be dealt with?

2) Can you get a mortgage offer in your sole name?

3) What deposit did you contribute?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We both own exactly half each i remember saying we would be joint so that if he died i would get all the house and if i died he would get all the house.


yes i can get a mortgage


I also contibuted 7k

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Are there any children of the relationship?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

In the absence of a declaration of trust there is a presumption that you each have a 50% interest in the property. This can sometimes be rebutted by litigating where one party has made a greater contribution than the other, but it is expensive in legal fees to do so.

If you are to remortgage in to your sole name then the mortgage valuation will note the valuation of the property. The equity in the property will obviously be this sum less the amount required to redeem your present mortgage. Therefore, the amount of his interest would be half this sum and this would be the amount you should be expected to pay him to buy him out.

If he is not willing to transfer the house to you at the time you remortgage then you will have to apply for an order that the property is transferred and that you buy him out at the above price. If he is not willing to sign the transfer this is your only option, but in view of the fact that you alone have maintained the mortgage repayments you could be reasonable confident in obtaining such an order.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7054
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so even though it was his choice to walk away and at the time advised he didnt want anything. By law he is still entitltled to half the equity? Even though any equity in the house is purely because I have maintained it and paid the mortgage each month out of my pocket? for example if at the point he had left we had sold the house we wouldnt of been able to pay the mortgage off at all - its only because I have maintained payments that there is any equity in the house? could I claim that he should pay half of the mortgage payments I have been paying for past year and a half? then it would be seem more fair he be entitled to half the equity?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981