How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6878
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I live next door to a property owned by Family Mosaic

Resolved Question:

I live next door to a property owned by Family Mosaic Housing Association and managed bty People Can as accomodation for ex offenders.
I have a meeting with family Mosaic tomorrow to discuss the possibility of closing down the property and for Family Mosaic to sell it or use it for family hoiusing.It is currently designated for use under the rough sleepers initiative (RSI).
Over the past 10 years we have suffered a great deal of noise nuisance and anti social behaviour. I have recently been given a copy of the tenancy agreement which states:

Clause 5. Noise
You must not make or allow any noiuse which is loud enough or happens often enough to cause a nuisance or annoy your neighbours,particularly between the hours of 11pm and 8am. You must make sure people who live with you and any visitors to your home do not make this type of noise. This could include ,but is not limited to:
* Loudly playing a musical instrument or audio equipment such as television,radio,compact disc or tape recorder,or
* using noisy domestic appliances such as washing machines,electric drills and sewing machines.

6.Anti-social behaviour
You must not behave in any way which will cause,or is likely to cause ,a nuisance to anyone . You must not annoy,abuse,theraten or be violent towards anyone in the neighbourhood,other tenants or our staff. This includes:
* slamming doors,arguing and shouting
* drunken behaviour

I would like to know:

* Is reporting to environmental health noise pollution service the only way to evidence noise nuisance and other problems listed above.
* Can I threaten to sue Family Mosaic for breach of tenancy of the occupants and for the affect on my mental health (I have suffered a lot of stress and have a GP appointment tomorrow to get a letter from my doctor to this affect).

I need to make a sound case to Family Mosaic to persuade them to change the use of the property.
They are already somewhat sympathetic as there have been many complaints over the years.
Family Mosaic I understand no longer receive additional funding for an RSI designated dwelling and do not want additional problems.
I need to cause them enough complaint to strengthen my case.
DoI have grounds to theraten legal action?
I look forward to hearing from You.
Sarah larcombe
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

The difficulty is that you have no privity of contract with the tenants/association in respect of the tenancy agreement between them. It is a private contract and you cannot compel the association to enforce the covenants within it against the tenants. This means that you cannot sue either of them on the tenancy.

That is not to say that you cannot exert pressure. You should contact the local authority again and persist. Under s79 Environmental Protection Act 1990 a statutory notice includes
"noise that is prejudicial to health or a nuisance and is emitted from or caused by a vehicle, machinery or equipment in a street or, in Scotland, road.".

Under Section 80 of the Environmental Protection Act, once the local authority has determined that a noise nuisance exists, it must then serve an abatement notice either requiring the noise to be abated completely or restricting or prohibiting the noise, or demanding that works be carried out the stop the noise.

The Noise Act 1996 deals specifcally with noise at night above "permitted levels" for which an abatement notice can also be served. such a noise is
"a level applicable to noise as measured from within any other dwelling in the vicinity from an approved device... different permitted levels may be determined for different circumstances

Put this in writing to the local authority and request details of the measure they have taken so far. Before you do you should canvass other neighbours to see if they are willing in joining you in writing to the local authority.

You should also download a copy of the Land Registry title for the property to see if there is a covenant against the freehold title for the property which states that they should not make a nuisance and whether the covenant was made for the benefit of adjoining properties. If it was then you can sue the association for the breach of the covenant.

You can search for and download the freehold title here:-!ut/p/b1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0C7IdFQG9k5Tz/

I would suggest seeing a local solicitor after you have obtained the freehold title for the property and canvassed further opinion to get them to write to the association with a Letter before Legal Proceedings. If it does not cease hereafter and there is no covenant against the freehold title then your only avenue is against the local authority either getting them to provide evidence of what they have done to discharge their noise abatement responsibilities or to sue them because they haven’t.

You are only able to claim direct financial loss though, damages for mental health/distress are probably too remote to claim.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 6878
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Joshua


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
< Last | Next >
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

Chat Now With A Solicitor
1306 Satisfied Customers
BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor