How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have recently ordered a range of glass furnture which now

This answer was rated:

i have recently ordered a range of glass furnture which now is ready for del.

When i went to look at it the standard and qualitty were poor so refused to pay the outstanding monies.

A intial deposit was paid when ordering so they are now saying that if i dont want it they would charge a 25% cancelation fee.

Is this fair when the prodeuct is not worth the money to be paid.

it was bought from a brouchure so was not able to view it until del into their warehouse.

The small print does state that 25% or deposit to that value would be non refundable.

This form had not been signed so are the conditions of sale still valued.

I would be very grateful for your advice on this matter.

Mrs James.
Thanks for your question/n .

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. Did you order the goods by distance means (eg. email, online, fax etc) and not by attending their premises
2. Were you informed of any cooling off period?
3. Would you say that the goods of not of satisfactory quality
Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Was shown a brouchure in showroom, told that it was of solid construction and heavy, which it is not.


Also ordered a table and chairs which was seen before so have no problems with paying in full for those items.


I had no reading glasses on that day so left salesman to explain details of items in bouchure.


have now been told that they will not del table and chairs until full payment has been made on other items can they do this ?


That means the whole of my deposit will be lost even though am happy to purchase the table and chairs.



Hi Mrs James,

So, do you consider that the other items are below satisfactory quality?

Ideally, what would you like to happen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I would like to still buy the table and chairs but not the other items.


Do they have the right to with hold deposit when goods are not satifactory, in my case poor quality for the amount spent as this is not termed as cancellation or is it ?


What way forward should i go as i know they are refusing sell me the tables and chairs.


Thanks for your reply.

This is a sale of goods act legislation issue.

Where goods are not of satisfactory quality then this is a breach of contract under the implied term of under s14(2) of Sale of Goods Act 1979. Therefore it is a breach of contract which you can either ask is rectified by repair/replacement or that you are entitled to a refund in respect of those items.

However, you have not paid the full purchase price at the present time and so you yourself are in breach of contract.

I would confirm to them that you consider the other items to not be of satisfactory quality under the above act but at the same time offer to pay for the items that you wish to still purchase or invite them to replace the other items with more of sufficient quality. State that if they are not willing to agree to the compromise then you shall sue them for the recovery of the deposit on the basis that you are treating the contract as terminable by you because of the deficiency of quality and shall at the same time claim that the non-refundbale deposit is an unfair term under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts legislation. State that you will also sue for your legal fees and interest, but you wish to reach a compromise.

If they do not agree then you will have to issue a claim and ensure that the items are returned to them.

Of course, much of the litigation under the sale of goods act legislation is on whether or not the goods are actually not of satisfactory quality and on whether your goods are or not I obviously cannot comment.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply it has helped me resolve this matter without having to sue anybody.

I have already rated you for your good service.


No problem. Glad it was resolved.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:


Related UK Property Law Questions