Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I would like to know if a property is more then 325k say for

I would like to know if a property is more then 325k say for example 360k does the 40% inheritance tax apply the extra 35k or the entire 325k ?

Thanks for your reply.

If the property is the only assets of the deceased’s estate then the value of the property uses up all of the nil rate band of £325, 000.00. Any amount over £325, 000.00 s subject to IHT at 40%.

If this is the case then £35, 000.00 only would be subject to 40% IHT.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The property owner also has around £ 10000 in his bank account , this amount plus the value of the property constitue his entire assets. Am I correct in assuming that in this case the beneficiary will be liable to IHT on £45k that will be received ?

Please remember to rate my answer.