How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7591
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently co-own a 2 bedroom flat with my former partner.

This answer was rated:

I currently co-own a 2 bedroom flat with my former partner. We currently both live in the property. What would the situation be with respect to security of ownership if I move out but still arrange for my proportion of the mortgage to be paid by letting the room.

Thanks for your question.

If there is no Declaration of Trust or other written agreement executed by your both which stipulates anything relating to your ownership in the event that you move out, then your ownership would be unaffected.

However, you may be in breach of your mortgage conditions if you let your room without your lender’s consent. You need to contact them to check their requirements. You would also remain jointly and severally liable for the mortgage even though you have let your room, nothing changes that I’m afraid.

Additionally as you both jointly own your property then you would also need the consent of your co-owner.

If you ultimately want rid of the property and your co-owner does not consent then you can force the sale of the property by making (or posturing to make) an application to Court. If the partner cannot demonstrate sufficient finance to receive a mortgage offer to buy you out and transfer the equity in to their name then this may be your only option. A local solicitor would be able to do this for her and these orders are seldom refused by the Court.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions