How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7581
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a tenant in a commercial property. There is no formal

This answer was rated:

I am a tenant in a commercial property. There is no formal tenancy or licence agreement. How much notice does the landlord have to give me to vacate and does the notice have to be in writing?

How long have you been in the property please?

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Since 26th August 2011 ,

Thanks for your reply.

If you do not have any formal agreement, no fixed term , but have had exclusive possession of the premise and have not agreed a set notice time with the landlord orally then you do not have many rights I’m afraid. This is because your tenancy is deemed to be a tenancy at will.

As such, I’m afraid that it is terminable by either party upon immediate notice to the other party. There is technically no requirement that this should be in writing and also no required to issue possession proceedings at Court for eviction.

Sorry it could not be better news. This obviously does not prevent you in to bluffing the landlord to giving you “reasonable written” notice to see if they bite. I would consider reasonable in this case to be one month, although there is no actual legal requirement for it.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,


Related UK Property Law Questions