Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Why would a lawyer be needed to check my financial stability

Why would a lawyer be needed to check my financial stability so I can rent a property here in the UK?
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Who is requiring a lawyer checks your financial stability
2. What nationality are you
3. Where are you
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. A woman that goes by the name of Maria M
2. British
3. Kingstanding, Birmingham, UK

Okay, what is her profession - is she a property/letting agent, or a landlord?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She claims to own the property, so a landlady of sorts.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.
When a landlord or agent rents a property to a tenant they need to know that the person is a viable tenant and can pay the rent. Were an agent acting in the transaction they would carry out a simply credit check through a credit agency and you would pay the fee for this.

If she is not using an agent then she is probably just paying over the odds to get her solicitor to do it for her. That’s her right, there’s nothing in law that prevents her from making the tenancy conditional upon this so it’s a case of take it or leave it I’m afraid.

You may suggest that she carries out an online credit check and that you pay the fee for this but there is no onus on her at actually accept this suggestion.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,