Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

hello!my name is XXXXX XXXXX i just wanted to ask you something

hello!my name is XXXXX XXXXX i just wanted to ask you something about a problem that i have!i just rented a double room from a live in landlord and i singed the contract on the 17 April,i been yesterday to do all the cleaning of the room as i wanted to move in today the 19 of April.the landlord told me that he sprinkle some bed bugs powder just to prevent the bed bugs,but yesterday the 18 April when i was doing it i realize it was powder in every little corner of the room,the powder being everywhere really started to worry myself a lot.i came home and last night i couldn't sleep at all and have been crying about the situation.i called the landlord today,i express my problem that i realize i couldn't live in a place where they were bed bugs and ask for my all amount of money that i paid him, which it was 390 deposit and 390 one month rent,he said that he can't give me the full amount back as he says he knows everything is OK now concerning the bed bugs.He also said that he's going to double check today the 19 April with the lady that she lived before in the room to see if she had any problems with that(as i asked him on the phone he said the lady before never complain so that means the room hasn't got any bed bugs).My question now is: IS IT LEGAL THAT he WILL not give me my full amount of the rent that i paid him?(As he said that he''ll give me only my deposit back 390 pounds and one week rent-i didn't even moved there at all).Many thanks,Nicoleta.(my e-mail isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nicoletta,

Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Have you actually seen evidence of bed bugs
2. Is the agreement for a fixed term or simply from month to month
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1)The only thing that i saw it was the powder on the 17 april and he just explain that is better to prevent then cure.No blood marks or anything.But as i read on internet the bed bugs come in the night and you can't tell during day time if there in the house.He admitted that both of the girls had it in the past about 6 month ago(1st girl and
the other one about 3 weeks ago.So that's why he put so much powder just to prevent it.
2)Month to month
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
At the moment if you had already agreed to your occupation then you are bound by the contract with him.
He’s obviously bound to let you a room which is habitable for the purpose of human habitation. If there is no actual evidence of bed bugs then he has not breached this term of your agreement.
If it transpires that there are bed bugs then this is a breach. If you consider the measure he then takes to get rid of them inadequate then you can claim it is a repudiatory breach of the contract which is a breach of contract which is so serious that it goes to the root of the contract so as to deny you the whole of the benefit of the contract, thus entitling you to terminate immediately.
If he refuses to give the money back at this point then the only way you are going to recover it is by suing him for it yourself. You can issue a claim against him if you are forced to do so via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
It’s very easy to use and quite cheap
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor