How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Shop owner sign damaged

Resolved Question:

The shop owner had installed a new sign when he signed up for the lease many years ago. The wall behind the shop sign is damaged, and needs immediate repair. The relative of the shop owner have sent email to me confirming that they will pay for costs of repair, once I have got shop sign repaired my builder. However, the email confirm is from the relative (looking to sign as new tenant) and not the original leasee who is his auntie. What legal confirmation should I get from them? Should I get a confirmation of acceptance of paying for damage from both the shop owner and the relative? I have got shop owners rent deposit in my account, which I will be able to use as collatoral against shop owner if expenses not paid up. Is this enough? What else do I need to do to ensure that they do not escape these repair charges?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Are you to carry out the repair before or after execution of the new lease?

Will the new tenant pay for the costs of repair even if they do not eventually enter in to the lease?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It depends on my builder if he gets back to uk in time. Most likely he will return end of april, and lease renewal is end of april, so most likely he will do it after lease renewal date.

The copnfirm has come not from the tenant, but from the relative who is just working there, and wants to take up lease as new tenant.

I will be able to ask relative to ask shop owner to come to shop and then get her to sign confirm letter, or I will give her letter saying that her deposit will be held if damages not paid for.

Is this correct. What is the right procedure?

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.
It would be much simpler if the new tenant simply transferred you money in order to pay the builder, rather than incorporate it in to the Lease. Obviously you would have to give him a written statement prior declaring that the transfer of the money would be used only for the purpose of the repair and that you will provide them with a receipted invoice from the builder once their fee are settled.

The alternative is for the builder to invoice the new tenant separately but if the new tenant does a runner then no doubt the building would come chasing you.
If it’s to happen after the new tenant has taken the grant of lease then you should take monies on account from him upon and subject to completion of the lease. A short clause in the lease should state that the monies are in respect of the repair and that the new tenant shall have no right to object to the use of those monies for the repair.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:


Related UK Property Law Questions