Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

We are considering buying a house that has 5 "internal" bedrooms

We are considering buying a house that has 5 "internal" bedrooms (2 ensuite) and two further bedrooms (both en-suite) that are accessed externally. We would like to run a small B&B, using the 2 external rooms to help pay for the property.

Do we need any speacial permissions? What regulations do we need to comply to?

Is there any need to apply for "change of use"?

Thanks.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Is the house presently a residential property
Kind regards.
Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Are you able to respond to my above post to enable me to answer please?
Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,

Yes, a UK residence.

Regards

Jon

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jon
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, if the property does not have the required Planning Permission Use Class at the present time (ie. because it is a residential property) then you will have to make an application for change of use to the local authority.
Residential properties are C3 Use Class under the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987.
Bed and breakfasts fall with Use Class C1. There is no permitted change of use without a planning permission from C1 to C3 so you will have to contact your local authority for the relevant forms on change of use for this.
If you wish to know the use class prior to making an offer then you should contact the local authority’s planning department. A local search would be carried out during the conveyancing process by your solicitor for absolute confirmation.
You would also have to comply with the requirements of the Health and Safety Executive. Info here:-
http://www.hse.gov.uk/catering/index.htm
As well as fire safety:-
http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/fire/pdf/payingguests.pdf
You would also have to obtain a Premises Licence from the relevant local authority in order to trade. You can contact them about thish.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom