How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Stuart J Your Own Question

Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 21954
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Subject: Access rights to an electricity meter. I own a terraced

Customer Question

Subject: Access rights to an electricity meter.
I own a terraced property that was built in 1996. My neighbours external electricty meter box is positioned on a side wall of their property which is within a covered driveway area of my property (the properties are joined on the first floor, not the ground floor). A previous owner of my property placed an electric roller shutter door at the front end of the covered driveway effectively closing off this area and in the process preventing the neighbour continual free access to their electricity meter. The local planning department have confirmed that the roller shutter door is permitted and I have a letter to this effect. I currently rent out the property and the current tenants allow the neighbour access via the roller shutter door to take meter reading etc (though there is nothing in the shorthold tenancy agreement that requires them to allow this access). This arrangement is currently working fine but I could foresee a future tenant potentially being "difficult" about allowing this access. I have discussed with my neighbour the option of moving their external electricity meter box to another external wall area of their property so that they would not have to rely upon my tenants to get access to their meter (this would probably involve moving the meter box 2-3 metres onto the front wall of their property but still within their curtilage). I have offered to share the cost involved in moving the meter or, if required, cover the whole cost. However my neighbour is reluctant to have their meter moved instead insisting the the roller shutter door is removed (or moved backwards by 2-3 meters so they can again have access to their meter). There is nothing in the deeds relating to this roller door or access rights to their meter. Does my neighbour have any legal rights in requesting that I remove (or move) the roller shutter door? What access rights does my neighbour have to the electricity meter? What would be the implications if my neighbour decided to sell their house or I decided to sell my house? I find it difficult to understand why my neighbour is refusing to accept the solution and financial help I am willing to offer to resolve this so wanted to understand if there are any legal points I need to consider prior to taking this any further or doing nothing at all. If I do nothing what is the worst case scenario for me? Many thanks for your response. AG
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Would you please summarise the facts?

I need a bit more information please. I am going off line shortly and will be on and off all day (experts on here are also practising lawyers) but will be back later (on and off) today when I will deal further once I have your reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Neighbour cannot access her electricity meter due to a roller shutter door on my property. The roller shutter door has planning permission. This was in position before I bought the property.

I have offered to move the meter so the neighbour can have access but they have refused. Instead they have insisted I move or remove the roller shutter door.

What access rights do they have to the meter?

Can they legally insist I move or remove entirely the roller shutter door?

If I do nothing what would be the implications if I sell my property or the neighbour decided to sell their property?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. The planning permission is immaterial. You are hindering access.

This seems like an alleyway between two properties witha flying freehold. Does the neighbour have accessd own the alley in the deeds?

I assume that the neighbour has a key to the roller shutter. If not they should have one. The matter of your tenants is easy enough, it is put into the AST that they have to give access.

If you or the nighbour tried to sell now, then you have to disclose the dispute.




Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is not a dispute at this time.


It is not an alleyway between the two properties, this driveway is part of my property therefore I own this area.


There is no mention in the deeds to my property of access to this area owned by me. The neighbour does not have access to my driveway in any deeds. It is my private property.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying £3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no prescriptive easement allowing access to the meter.


However I take your point about an emergency and you are correct, the meter does probably pre-date the shutter (as far as I am aware).


I am happy to provide a shutter key in principal, however this may be problematic for future tenants (e.g. safety of small children etc) which would need to be written into the AST. The other option is to write into the AST that the tennant has to provide access when requested as you suggested earlier. Although this still does not overcome the problem of access in an emergency.


Moving the meter is almost certainly going to be cheaper than moving the shutter.


I am still baffled as to why they won't agree to a meter move.





Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I'm just about to leave the office. Then I have a few domestic things to do but I will be back later on this evening and I will reply to you fully then.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I'm just having a few PC problems and will get back to you as soon as possible. You do not have to reply to this post.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981