Joshua
Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

HI, my tenancy agreement had no break clause and I decided

Customer Question

HI, my tenancy agreement had no break clause and I decided for finacial reason that I couldn't afford any more with the rent and i contacted my estates agents notifying them about my decision to leave the flat before the fixed term on the agreement, they rapidly agreed but told me about the pro rate charge for Early Termination contract, later they email me with the figures of how much would be charge per month from the day I lef to end of the term, I agreed with the figures because was really reasonable, by the time when I request my deposit back the letting agents added on the top of the early termination fee more 15%, VAT 20% for the annual rent due the days of the term, plus VAT 20%. My question is the pro rate charge for early termination fee was raised absurdly with all those new rate(15%)and VAT+VAT is that valid? There is any support on Law all those charges, what should I do Legally against those abusive figures given to me? At the end 90% of my deposit will go only on those fees. please help me. thanks
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.

Joshua :

Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, please kindly click the Green ACCEPT button

Joshua :

What early terminsation fee was originally proposed please?

Joshua :

Joshua, Lawyer
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Are you having difficulty with the chat function?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the original proposed was £218.40 per month, so i still had 164 for end of the term
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
How many months were left in the term?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5 months + 10days
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
  1. Can you confirm if you accepted the cancellation fee in writing and if so are you able to copy and paste the exact terms proposed by the agent?
  2. would I be correct to presume you had an assured shorthold tenancy agreement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't accepted in writting , they sent to me those figures (218.40) via email, so there fore i do have in writing by them their originally proposed, and yes shorthold tenancy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the tenancy agreement is for a year but by the time i left still 5 motnhs and 10 days
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
  1. Thanks. Finally just to be clear, did you only accept the original proposal verbally - i.e. there is nothing written by you accepting the same?
  2. Have you moved out already and if so has the property been relet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1. yes only verbally, nothing written by me, only their with that proposal.
2.I moved out a month ago since then was a hide and seek game on their side on my request for my deposit only last week they came out with these firgures, and yes the property was quickly re-let, which was at 01/02
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry i pressed the wrong button please carry on
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but their remarketing cost and fees is that 15% and VAT+VAT, so there are 3 fees on the top of £218.40, is that support by English law?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have hight doubts that they registered my deposit at Deposit Protection, cos nothing was mentioned to me since the sign of the term and when I mention such precaution last week requesting the balance they slipped on it, saying that they did registered but they "forgot" to mention or give any details about my balance or any information in which company, is this case I can sue hem as well?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I received today a email from them Tell me that they will request my deposit from Deposit Protection (as a said, they r lying) with the figures already deduced, and Shock, my Deposit was originally £3,500.00, they "worked out" basing in all the fees and preparation of execution of the Check Out and propose give back £270.00
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last thing when you asked if my contract is Shorthold Tenancy i said it was but looking at now it does not appear these "shorthold Tenancy", but is fixed term for a year, is there any change of the subject?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!