Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i have been renting a b&b and ran the business as a limited

i have been renting a b&b and ran the business as a limited company. I believe therfore i am a common law tenatnt? I have doubled the turnover from 60k to 120k and spent thousands on repairs and renewals/fixtures and fittings and now the landlord/owner wants it back and asked me to leave in six months. I asked for 12 months as i have staff to consider and i have to find another job/business. Do i have any rights- how much notice am i entitled to?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Do you have any kind of written agreement with the landlord
  • 2. If not written agreement did you have any other kind of understanding as to how long you would be permitted to stay in the property

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No written agreement. In April 2009 after spending over 6000 on furniture i did ask for how long i had the property for as she had tried selling prior to me going in there in april 20008. Her answer at that point was a least 3 years. I pay 2400 a month in rent.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

You have not protected yourself very well at all here I'm afraid. If you had a written agreement (ie. A lease) then this would govern the terms of your occupation and the landlord would not be able to evict you unless you were in breach of the lease.

In addition if the term agreed was longer than three year it would have to be by way of deed (ie. Written agreement, a lease effectively).

If you had an oral agreement with the landlord that you could occupy the property for a certain period of time or upon a certain amount of notice and the landlord did not adhere to this and evicted you or attempted to do so then you would be able to sue for an illegal eviction

If no notice period was agreed initially with the landlord and you did agree a fixed period of time for which you would be permitted occupation then any eviction they attempted would be able illegal one.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?
If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.
Please click accept. I cannot work for free.