Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Dont know if this is a property law question or a family law

Don't know if this is a property law question or a family law question but I'm going with property. Does my partner of 12 years, whose name is XXXXX XXXXX the deeds of my house, has paid rent - of a sort for about 10 years (2 years out of work - so he had no money) and he has not put any money into the house - anything new or any repairs I have paid for - have a claim against my property?

Thanks for your question.

1. Are their any children of the relationship

2. Did he contribute more in rent/mortgage repayments than he otherwise would have paid if she was living in her own private rented accommodation?

3. Did he make capital repayments to pay off significant sums of the mortgage?

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. No children from this relationship. I have a son from a previous relationship but he hasn't paid towards his upkeep. The only contribution would be holidays - where we split the cost of the holiday between us.

2. No he did not contribute more than he would pay if he had rented his own place but he did have a house which he sold, his mortgage repayments were probably less than the rent he gave me but I'm not a 100% sure on this.

3. No he did not make capital repayments to pay off significant sums off my mortgage.

Thanks for your Question.

My answer assumes that she did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property .

I think you can relax

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
On the basis of your replies he would not be advised to issue a claim for an interest in your property because he has not financially contributed to the extent required to make a claim. His claim would be unsuccessful.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks for your Question.

I think you can relax

Kind regards,

Tom