Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Does a landlord have a legal requirement to heat a room to

Does a landlord have a legal requirement to heat a room to a specific temperature. Our central heating system is fully working but the tenant thinks the kitchen is not warm enough. The house was previously lived in by the current owner and a previous owner with no problems. the current tenant is using her own electric heater in the kitchen as a supplement
Submitted: 4 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

There is no set temperature laid down in statute. The standard is contained in s 11 Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 which confirms your obligation is to keep the central heating in repair and good working order. This explains it quite well (see 11(c)_:-
http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-factsheets/factsheets/factsheet-11-landlords-repairing-obligations.html

Provided the central heating is working and the property is habitable there is no breach by you as landlord which the tenant could sue you for. If the heating was not working at all in one room then they may be able to but if it is working, properly serviced, and it is simply a colder room than the rest then the tenant would not be advise to issue a claim because they would not have an appreciable prospect of success.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Tom