How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Joshua Your Own Question

Joshua, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 25358
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

By how much can my landlord increase my rent in a private flat

Resolved Question:

By how much can my landlord increase my rent in a private flat paid for by the Benefit Office when I have been in the property for 8 years already? I am 74 years old.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, please kindly click the Green ACCEPT button

  1. Do you have an assured shorthold tenancy please?
  2. When does the fixed period expire or has it already expired?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a shorthold tenancy which started in February 2011 at which time I had paid an increase of 4% over 2010. The tenancy expires in February, next month. My landlord has asked for a 7% rise for this year only. What are my rights? Can my landlord throw me out from the property? I am very anxious because I cannot move (physically and mentally). BUT, most of all, I need to know what the law says. My landlord even refuses to contact me but rather my guarantor who is anxious for me not to move...thus I am in a great predicament.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. If you do not agree to sign the new tenancy agreement your landlord can give you two months clear notice to move out of the property. On the other hand if you do sign, you will be bound by new fixed term and a the new rent figure.

You and the landlord a free to negotiate in respect of rent. You have the right to refer any rent increases to a rent assessment committee who have the power to fix the rent at the level they consider fair for a period of 12 months. Be cautious however they have the power to put the rent up as well as down and in addition the landlord can still choose to evict you so if staying in the property is essential to you the landlord has almost all of the cards.

Consider initially proposing a lower rent than the one the landlord has proposed. Do not advise the landlord you are desperate to stay in the property as he will know he can get what he wants from you if you do. Providing he does not know this if he thinks you might move out even a short period of vacancy will wipe out any increase the landlord wants to put the rent up by.

Whilst the right to refer the matter to a rent assessment committee is in theory a strong right, unfortunately because the landlord still has a right to evict you regardless it is often of limited use or attractiveness to do so. THe best approach is healthy negotiation to achieve a compromise maintaining an aloof "take it or leave" approach so the landlord does not know you are too keen.
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 25358
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Joshua and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This means that I have no rights as a tenant for the 8 years I have been here? This landlord refuses to keep up the flat to any decent standard, has refused to let me paint or otherwise decorate the flat, left the flat for me in a deplorable seems to me that I don't have any rights at all. However, moving out is a horrible option: I have begun to think of this as my home.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
You do have rights but you do not have direct security of tenure. There are ways in which you can potentially exploit your position.

I would be delighted to continue to assist. Please kindly consider clicking ACCEPT. I will continue to assist with your follow up question without further charge.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been asked to pay an additional sum equal to the original amount. How can I obtain your answer without further charge as you write above?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this UK law or US law or are they the same? I have no rights according to your reply...and have only 2 months to vacate the property?


Optional Information:
Province/Country relating to question : UK

Already Tried:
Only you. Tomorrow I go to see the Citizens' Advice Bureau to ask them.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Joshua


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
< Last | Next >
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers: