Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i split with a partner two years ago, we have a joint morgage

i split with a partner two years ago, we have a joint morgage which i have been paying half of for the two years. i moved out straight away and have been paying for rented acomodation since as well as my half of the mortgage. her new partner has been living in my house with her unofficially for prob more than a year. the house has been up for sale for 18 months with no buyer. she wont buy my share out for a reasonable amount there is £65000 equity in the property and will not agree to reduce the price to attract a sale. can the courts force her to drop the price as its getting to the stage i just cant afford to pay for two properties and will soon have to simply stop paying my share and risk damaging my credit.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If she has set a price which is above market value then the Courts would be able to make an order that the property should be marketed and sold but this would have to be in the course of litigation based on an application you have made for an order for sale.

IN this case I would get a local solicitor to write to her first explaining your right to apply for an order for sale and that you consider her attaching an above market value to the property as being prohibitive. You should state in their that if she does not drop her valuation to that of qualified estate agents then you will immediately issue an application for an order for sale.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,