How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7374
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a landlord of residential property and have a tenant who

Resolved Question:

I am a landlord of residential property and have a tenant who stopped paying rent seven weeks ago. I wish to evict her as soon as possible, how can I do it? We both signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement on 23rd September 2011. The agreement says that I can take possession of the flat after three weeks of non payment, with a court order. How long should that take and what might happen if I take back possession without a court order?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Under the housing act legislation a landlord can only evict a tenant earlier than the expiry of the fixed term of the tenancy in certain ways

IN the case of rent arrears a landlord may only serve a notice under this ground once the tenant is in two months arrears with their rent (if they pay their rent monthly). If you tenant is two months in arrears already then you must serve a s8 notice citing ground 8. If the tenant is not yet two months in arrears then you must wait until they are. The notice period for this is two weeks.

You would then have to apply to Court for a court order for possession after the notice has expired. If you change the locks and take back possession without a court order you will be illegally evicting the tenant and she will sue you and be successful

There are notes on the above available here:-

There are lots of online providers for the standard form of s8 notice for rent arrears. A simple google search will reveal them and they have notes on how you should serving them (as does the above link) - this is very important because you must be able to prove to the Court that the tenant received it.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can you be sure she will sue? She can't pay the rent so I doubt she can pay for a court case. She agreed to pay weekly and the tenancy contract is a standard agreement and states a three week arrears is sufficient for me to regain possession. The agreement was published by "Law Pack Publishing". Can you explain the difference?
The last time I used this site I understood I should press "Accept Answer" when I was satisfied with it. Has this changed so that I now pay for your time? Do I now pay per question?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Unless you served a notice stating it was not to be one, the tenancy will be an assured shorthold tenancy.

This means you can only regain possession under the HOusing Act legislation. To do this you must serve notice in the way I described above.

Any provisions in a tenancy agreement that conflict with the housing act are automatically invlaid.

I was not stating that she would sue, only that she could. If she took advice from a solicitor they would probably be willing to act on a no win no fee basis and therefore the chances of her issuing are higher. You should not take possession without a court order. It's illegal.


You have paid a deposit to post this question. It only transfers to me when you click accept.

If you wish once you have acepted I can refer this question to customer services who will answer any acccount queries you may have.

Please click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7374
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 4 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers: