Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice

I have a tenant in commercial property no lease was signed

I have a tenant in commercial property no lease was signed so that if the tenant had money problems he could leave immediately. I now wish to use the property myself as he is persistently late with his rent. I have given him three months notice but am worried in case he decides not to leave. What are my rights in this matter
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer! If you've any queries once you've read my answer do ask. When satisfied, kindly click the Green ACCEPT button.

If the tenant does not have a Lease, their occupation of the property will be governed by the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954 which implies a periodic tenancy which automatically renews at each rent period until ended by them or you as the landlord.

You will have to give them not less than 3 months notice to quit the property. You will need to serve notice under s25 notice of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. From what you say you have done this and based on this you would then need to apply to court to get a possession order in the county court