Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

IF A PROPERTY IS REGISTERED IN JOINT NAMES AND ONE PARTNER

IF A PROPERTY IS REGISTERED IN JOINT NAMES AND ONE PARTNER HAS DEBTS, CAN A LEIN BE PLACED ON PROPERTY TO THE EXTENT OF MORE THAN THE 50%?

Thanks for your question.

If the other (non-indebted) co-owner did not put their name to the loans or personally guarantee the loans then any application by the creditors to register a charge against the title to the property would only be against the indebted co-owner’s interest in the property.

This means that the interest of the non-indebted co owner could be protected and therefore would remain unaffected. In the event that an order for sale over the property was obtained then the non-indebted co-owner would receive the appropriate amount of the proceeds of sale according to their percentage interest in the property.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Tom