Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Can I give my daughter my house so she can raise a mortgage

Can I give my daughter my house so she can raise a mortgage on it and continue living in it rent free? I currently own the house outright with no mortgage or secured loans.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I assume you would transfer this to your daughter for no consideration (ie. No money) and, if so, transferring the house in to your daughter's name will not be that difficult and you will be able to do it yourself provided you are prepared to spend some (not much) time on it.

You will have to draft a Transfer (form TR1) from you to your daughter (which you will both have to sign as a deed (ie. witnessed) and you can download the template form from the land registry's website. You will have to submit this to the land registry with their form AP1, this is also downloadable from the website

by selecting from the "Forms" tab:-

http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/

You will probably have some questions on completing the form but the land registry's customer support service are very helpful to lay persons. A fee will be required and you can also ask them about that.

It's important to note though that once transferred you would not have any rights over the property - it will be your daughter's and she can do with it as she pleases.

If you continue to live in the property then it will be included in your estate for inheritance tax purposes as you would be retaining a benefit from the house.

Your daughter should also speak to lenders regarding raising a mortgage on it before you transfer to check she is happy with their terms.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom