Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am having lots of conflict with the landlord of the property

I am having lots of conflict with the landlord of the property I live in at the moment, he does not give me 24 hour notice and just turns up at the property, and when he comes, he points out and interferes on little things that are dirty or wrong in the house.

I still have around 2 months until my contract runs out, is he allowed to do this to me while I still live there? I have fully agreed to paying for professional carpet cleaning and general cleaning it's not like I will run away without keeping these promises.

He has been rude and demanding and I have not felt peaceful living in this house, he has caused me so much stress.

Is there a case for this, can I take legal action if this carries on?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. What does your tenancy agreement state regarding viewings?
2. Does it permit them within a certain period of time (eg final month/two months)
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The agreement says that he needs to give me 24 hour notice and although it permits him to come round when work needs to be done to the house, as he is trying to sell the property, he does just turn up without warning.

I'm not sure if there is a time period which allows him this, but is it right that he is interfering with me living at this property peacefully and causing me stress over the carpets and cleaning...etc before I have moved out? shouldn't this happpen when I actually move out?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

You have a right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the property subject to the landlord’s rights of entry in the tenancy agreement.

The tenancy agreement dictates when the landlord can and can’t enter. Usually a tenancy agreement would state that the landlord is permitted to enter the premises on 24 hours notice in the last two months for the purpose of viewings for the future sale or let of the premises.

If there are other provision in the tenancy agreement permitting entry to the landlord in certain circumstances and on certain notice then you will have to let him enter the property.

If the landlord is exercising entry to the property in contravention of the tenancy provision then this is technically a breach of contract. You would be able to claim for financial loss you suffer but the loss for stress/inconvenience is too indirect and difficult to put a monetary loss to.

If you wish to stop him doing this then you can write a formal email/letter to him stating his access has been in breach of the tenancy agreement and requesting that he restrict his conduct to the access permitted under the agreement. State that if he continues to access in breach then you shall be forced to put a bolt on the door in order restrict his access in breach.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,