How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having lots of conflict with the landlord of the property

Resolved Question:

I am having lots of conflict with the landlord of the property I live in at the moment, he does not give me 24 hour notice and just turns up at the property, and when he comes, he points out and interferes on little things that are dirty or wrong in the house.

I still have around 2 months until my contract runs out, is he allowed to do this to me while I still live there? I have fully agreed to paying for professional carpet cleaning and general cleaning it's not like I will run away without keeping these promises.

He has been rude and demanding and I have not felt peaceful living in this house, he has caused me so much stress.

Is there a case for this, can I take legal action if this carries on?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. What does your tenancy agreement state regarding viewings?
2. Does it permit them within a certain period of time (eg final month/two months)
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The agreement says that he needs to give me 24 hour notice and although it permits him to come round when work needs to be done to the house, as he is trying to sell the property, he does just turn up without warning.

I'm not sure if there is a time period which allows him this, but is it right that he is interfering with me living at this property peacefully and causing me stress over the carpets and cleaning...etc before I have moved out? shouldn't this happpen when I actually move out?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

You have a right to peaceful and quiet enjoyment of the property subject to the landlord’s rights of entry in the tenancy agreement.

The tenancy agreement dictates when the landlord can and can’t enter. Usually a tenancy agreement would state that the landlord is permitted to enter the premises on 24 hours notice in the last two months for the purpose of viewings for the future sale or let of the premises.

If there are other provision in the tenancy agreement permitting entry to the landlord in certain circumstances and on certain notice then you will have to let him enter the property.

If the landlord is exercising entry to the property in contravention of the tenancy provision then this is technically a breach of contract. You would be able to claim for financial loss you suffer but the loss for stress/inconvenience is too indirect and difficult to put a monetary loss to.

If you wish to stop him doing this then you can write a formal email/letter to him stating his access has been in breach of the tenancy agreement and requesting that he restrict his conduct to the access permitted under the agreement. State that if he continues to access in breach then you shall be forced to put a bolt on the door in order restrict his access in breach.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7149
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers:

  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience
  • PortsmouthLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981