Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

hi i brought my house out right 5yrs ago,but now im thinking

hi i brought my house out right 5yrs ago,but now im thinking of selling but i left my deeds with my solicitor to look after for me,but now i dont no the name of the solicitor who has them because i lost all the paperwork when i moved in to my house all i no is that it was in hastings but i aint got a clue what do i do

thank you Delia cuff
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Delia,

Thanks for your question, I think you can calm down.

Your property will be registered at the Land Registry if you only purchased the property 5 years ago.

The original “deeds” would have been 'dematerialised' (ie. destroyed by the land registry) when the property was first registered. The proof of title (in effect, what the original deeds prove) is now the Official Copies of the registered title number for the property on the Land Registry's database. This will let you sell the property as it is proof of your ownership.This record effectively replaces the deeds. As a consequence the deeds are of little relevance since the actual salient legal details (easements, covenants etc) would have been taken from the deeds and noted against the official copies.

You can check using the Land Registry's online service by downloading a copy of the register of the title (if any) for the property:-

If you find that your property is registered then the original deeds ((ie. earlier conveyances, abstracts, assents) are of no value>

I doubt in the extreme that you have anything at all to worry about.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,