How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7375
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been informed that my house which is in joint names

Resolved Question:

I have been informed that my house which is in joint names has been sold. Yet the ex wife refuses to leave anytime soon. What is my course of action to get her to leave the premises before 8th August, which is the exchange date. PS She is very hard to get in contact with.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Was there a Court order made with regard to the house and it’s sale
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. We both agreed at the beginning of the separation to sell the house. We both went to the estate agents and both signed the paperwork to sell the house. I left the house, but have kept up mortgage repayments since last august. Now the new buyer is ready to move in, and my ex is the only one who lives there, and is not respoinding to correspondence, and they cannot get hold of her on the phone.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Ok, have you both instructed solicitors to act on your behalf in your divorce?

Are you actually divorced?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We did and we are. I have the letter from the courts, stating i can remarry if i wish. this came through in april/may
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

You’ve got to speak with the solicitor who is acting in your divorce for you. Explain the difficulties you are having with your wife. He will communicate with her solicitors, who shall take her instructions about her present position as to the sale of the house.

If any agreement cannot be reached with her to sign the contract and associated documents relating to the conveyance of the property then you will have no option but to make an application to Court and involve the court in determining the financial settlement and what is to happen to the house.

If she is not amenable to selling the property any longer and you are forced to go to Court then it will take much longer to reach a determination of settlement and a Court order than by the 5th August so I regret to say that if her position has changed and is resistant to the sale then it will not re resolved by the exchange date that you have in mind.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not feel she is against the selling of the house. So the form she signed at the estate agents in relation to the sale does not count. I just want to know, plus i feel she is not staying at the property full time. Would a week to allow her to find another accommodation be fair before i start to push for proceedings?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
It sounds fair, yes but really from a negotiating stand point you are probably best positioned to know what method is best to achieve her vacation of the property because you know what she is like.

Speak to your solicitor and ask them if they have heard anything from your wife's solicitors altering her position with respect to the sale, then decide how you wish to approach it.

Obviously though, alternative accomodation is crucial I should think to resolving this situation so I suppose you will need to make it as easy as possible for her to achieve this.

I trust this clarifies and should be grateful if you would click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7375
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Aston Lawyer

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
< Last | Next >
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer

    Property Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years exeperience
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers:

    LPC, 2 Years Conveyancing
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Matt J's Avatar

    Matt J


    Satisfied Customers: