Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am a landlord in Wales. My tenant are out of their fixed

Customer Question

I am a landlord in Wales. My tenant are out of their fixed term tenancy and are now on a periodic tenancy. They are nearly a month late in paying the rent. I would like to ask them to vacate the premises. Can I just send a letter giving them a months notice or do I have to go through the courts and issue a section 8 or 21.
Submitted: 3 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

I'm afraid that notwithstanding that they are late with paying the went you will still have to serve the applicable s21 housing act 1988 notice which relates to ending a statutory periodic tenancy.

This is two month notice with such notice to expire at the end of a rent period.

You can download the correct format from any of the online providers for a small fee, they will also have notes on service which you should read.

If they do not leave at they end of the notice period you will have to apply for an order for possession from the county court. You can use the online service for this, just Google "possession claim online gov" to link to it.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I am rewarded for my time. I will answer you follow up questions.

Kind regards

Tom.
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do the tenents only need to give a months (statutary) notice if they want to vacate the premises? There is a cause in the contract that states 2 months notice to be given to the landlord even in the periodic tenancy. Is this legally binding or does it not apply as the fixed term period has elapsed?

Also would I need to do a s8 also to recover the unpaid rents?

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As I said previously the the june rent has not yet been paid and the july rent is due on th 15th. I necessary can I issue a s8/s21 on the 16th? If I issue a s8 or s21 will it count as a CCJ against the tenants? Will they be liable for my court expenses as well as rent arrears.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not need to give another 14days after the July rent due date to issue a s8? I have read this somewhere else.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure I understand....I apologise for seeming ignorant. What do you mean 14 days notice under s8. Do I need to warn them that I a going to issue an s8 14 days prior to issuing it?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay many thanks for your time and advice. MUCH APPRECIATED.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!