How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner has been living with me now over three years. I

Resolved Question:

My partner has been living with me now over three years. I have equity release on my property. Does my partner have any rights? Please.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Does your partner contribute rent/.expenses in excess than they would if they were living in private rented accommodation
2. Did they contribute to the original financing of the purchase of the property
3. Have they carried out alterations to the property which have substantially increased its market value
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. She contributes half of all outgoings; car, shopping insurances etc.


3. She contributes to any maintenance required & improvements like bathroom tiling, decorating etc.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

My answer assumes that you are unmarried, have no children, the house is registered in your name only and that she did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property.

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided she has not contributed more money in payment for rent/expenses etc than they would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and the alterations they have made are minor maintenance works then they would not be advised to make a claim against your property.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 4 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you