Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, I have been offered a lock-up garage for sale or rent by

Hi, I have been offered a lock-up garage for sale or rent by a private owner who has sold her cottage nearby but still owns the garage which is in a block of three.The other two are
owned separately. The asking price is £5000 for an old but substantial brick self-contained
lock-up garage.
I am wondering if the same process would apply to buying the garage freehold as would a
property i.e land searches, title etc. Should I have any concerns about shared access and
drive maintenance as the block of garages are situated on a driveway which provides access to three privately owned cottages? Many thanks.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

The same process applies to purchasing the freehold - 1)Title investigation via Land registry official copies 2) precontract enquiries of the seller in respect of practical matters and any concern re the legal title - commission local search to check any matters noted at the local authority 3) contract amendment/agreement 4) LR search & bankruptcy search 5) exchange/registration.

Your precontractual enquiries will focus on the maintenance responsibilities - who pays, how often, is there likely to be any work require in the future, have there been collection problems.

In respect of the cottages, you will need to check to see if rights of access are afforded by formal rights of way noted by entries on the legal title to the garage freehold so that you know if they have a right to exercise access over the garage.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

As a ball park figure, have you any idea how much my legal fees are
likely to be in this matter please? Will it be a flat fee or depend
on the amount of work done?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You should insist upon a flat fee for legal fees.

The disbursements will be almost identical regardless of who you instruct.

Provided the purchase price is not particulaly expensive you would be looking at the solicitor charging around £350-450 +vat with disbrusements of probably around £200 provided no stamp duty is payable.

Thanks for your kind accept. Have a pleasent Sunday.

Kind regards,