Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have a small business ,it is a franchise but we own franchise

I have a small business ,it is a franchise but we own franchise 100%, and pay a royalty .We sublet the property off our franchisor , we have got behind on our rent 4 months now ,they have agreed two months now £9 k then get back on track ,however the only way we can meet these terms is by paying on card ,however they do not have facility to do this ,I'm stuck of how I can get cash,also I was wondering is there ever I holiday period allowed ? Which could mean 1-3 months possibly rent free ?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

There is no legislation or case law which affords you a right to a rent free period I’m afraid. It is entirely a matter for negotiation between parties and if there are no such provision in the sub-lease to you for this then you will not be entitle to a rent-free period and will instead have to hope they are understanding.

I would expect the sub-lease to contain a provision which states that if the rent is unpaid (usually either for 14-21 days) then they may forfeit the lease, take back possession of the property and the sue you for the rent unfortunately.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,