Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

my flat comes with my job which comes to an end soon . what

my flat comes with my job which comes to an end soon . what if I refuse to move out can I claim squatters rights?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Do you have a tenancy agreement with the company as your landlord
2. How long have you occupied the property
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the agreement of tenancy ends when my employment ends . I have occupied the property for 12+ years.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply

Squatters rights are what is called adverse possession. In order to be registered as the owner of the property you would have to prove adverse possession to the land registry

Although you have occupied the premises for the requisite ten year period in order to be in principle eligible to make an application for adverse possession you still have to meet one of three conditions in order to be registered
1) It would be unconscionable because of an equity of estoppels for the registered proprietor (ie. your company)( to dispossess you of the property
2) The applicant is for some other reason entitled to be registered as proprietor
3) The land in question is adjacent to land that you own and the exact boundaries have not been determined by the LR.
I cannot see that you meet either of these conditions because the basis of your occupation of the property was inherently linked to your job and therefore it would not be unconscionable to dispossess you of the land provided that it was communicated to you that your occupation of the land was conditional on your being employed by the company.

Presumably 2) & 3) do not apply either.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,