Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I cant afford to pay the arrears of 3,000 on my lease the

I cant afford to pay the arrears of £3,000 on my lease the landlord is serving a Section 146 notice what will happen now if I don't pay.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You should take the notice as the landlord's intention to forfeit the lease and take possession of the property. Sometimes, landlords serve the notice to make sure the tenant's get the point in the hope that a difficult tenant will then settle the arrears, but usually it is a pre-cursor to forfeiture.

This means that the landlord takes possession of the property and your right to occupy the property under the Lease ceases.

The landlord will then have the option to sue you for the breach and claim the arrears and future rent from you.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,