Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I need to know whether there are any charges on a property

I need to know whether there are any charges on a property I am thinking of purchasing, how soon can I obtain this info and what would the cost be.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

You can download a copy of the register for your property from the land registry's search engine:-

Enter the postcode for your property and if it is registered it will give you the option to download a copy of the register. There will be a £4.00 fee.

The register will list any such charges in the form of restrictions - these will be in Part C : Charges Register. It will not tell you how much is owing but it will tell you who has registered the charge and when it was registered.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think to pay £33 for this advice is unacceptable please review
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

You will see that another expert agrees with my answer.

The charges will take the following form in the register:-

1. (date) REGISTERED CHARGE dated (date)

2. (date) Proprietor: Santander UK Plc (Co. Reg. No. XXXXXXXX) of (address)

This would mean there is one charge registered against the property in favour of Santander.

I am happy to answer your follow up question (eg. if you have specific ones after having obtained a copy of the registerd) but, respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX answered your question. That it did not take a long time to explain and did not require a lengthy reply is to my mind irrelevent.

I should be grateful if you would click accept. If you do not I do not receive any credit whatsoever for having answered your question.

Kind regards,