Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i have a partner who is not registered as a part owner of my

i have a partner who is not registered as a part owner of my property nor contributes to any household bills including morgage, sometimes contributes to food. they stay between 4 and 6 nights per week and keep basic belongings at my property ( not full wardrobe or belongings ), they have their own flat which is only rented. i wanted to know at what point if any in these circumstances could they claim matrimonal rights on MY property.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. You refer to matrimonial rights - please confirm whether you are married
  • 2. Do they contribute rent
  • 3. Did they contribute to the original finance to purchase the property

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hi

no - i am not married

no - partner does not contribute to morgage

no - partner did not contribute to original purchase of the property

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/foof to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.

Provided she has not contributed more money in payment for food than she would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food then she would not be advised to make a claim against your property. I assume that she has not been buying extremely expensive food!

This will remain the case until you marry.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom