Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am currently trying to purchase the lease hold for my property

I am currently trying to purchase the lease hold for my property but totally unable and do not know where to start looking for the owners of the lease.
Can you assist? Who can I speak with? Do I need a solicitor?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. You refer to it as "my property", is this because you are currently the tenant of it on a residential tenancy?

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom, thank you for your prompt reply. I am actually the owner of the ground floor level maisonette (1 out of 2 maisonettes) and I would like to approach the lease holder so that I can purchase the lease hold.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry , I need clarification:-

You state that you own the ground floor maisonette. but how - do you own the leasehold interest in it and are interested in purchasing the leasehold in the first floor maionette?

Or do you own the leasehold interest in the groundfloor and wish to purchase the freehold for the buiding from the freeholder

Confused.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I wish to purchase the freehold for the buiding from the freeholder.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

You need to download the official copies for the freehold from the Land Registry. There will also be official copies for the leasehold interests, but it is the freehold you will need because the company will be listed as the registered proprietor.:-

https://www.landregistry.gov.uk/wps/portal/Property_Search

You will not be able to use it today because the service is not available on Sundays.

The company will be listed as registered proprietor and it will have an address for servce where you should be able to contact them

You can also use Companies House webcheck service to see where the company is registered and attempt to contact them at that address:-

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/8ec8c291f8f576d083f3c083f8b39951/wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

If you cannot trace them in the above ways then you may either have to instruct a tracing agency of possibly instruct a solicitor to deal with the matter directly, possibly by making an application to Court.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you advise on contact details for any trustworthy property law solicitors in the SW London Area?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I'm not too sure to be honest. If you use the following Law Society website you will be able to trace those closest to you:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Tom