Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

please i need help and dont know what to do my ex and i have

please i need help and dont know what to do my ex and i have split up two years a go
and live in the same house i want him to leave and he tells me he wants half of my house
what can i do
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Who is named on the registered title to the property

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my name only all payment for morg by me d/debit
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Has he contributed any rent to you?

Did he finance the initial purchase of the property to any extent?

Has he carried out extensive repairs to the property?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no rent paid no deposit i used from last sale of my hse he did a through lounge/dine which we paid half on he had a mate put in windows cost of 1200 which i paid half and painted lounge carpets and fruniture me in whoule house at present he pays council tax and gas bill that come every three months thats it
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

What was the value of his contribution to the through lounge works please

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
he has spent approx 4/6 grd i think
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I think you need to speak to a solicitor in your area directly about this.

Basically, you can serve him with a notice to vacate the property referring to the property, your ownership of it, his period of residence there and that you require him to vacate the property by a certain date. You are obliged to give him "reasonable notice" of this, so it depends on how long he has been living there. I would think that 2 months from the date of the notice would be sufficient. It should probably be sent to him at your address by registered post so that you have proof of postage.

If he does not leave after the notice period has expired then you will have to make an application to Court for an order for possession

Because of his financial contribution to the works at the property he may be advised to make a claim on the property under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act. This is quite expensive for him to do. He will not be able to claim half the value of the property though, he would only be able to claim (if he is successful) for the value of his contribution to the works.

So you can see that there are two issues and for this reason I would suggest seeing a property solicitor about writing to him in the hope that the issue as to the works can be resolved informally and at the same time serve him with a notice.

You can find local solicitors using:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you i have spoken to soolictor

the web page did the bonus go through

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.