Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

If a house is solely in the husbands name and he dies does

If a house is solely in the husbands name and he dies does the wife have to go to probate to get it put in her name?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Yes, a grant of probate/letters of administration (if your father dies intestate without will) must be taken there was a property held in his sole name. The Land Registry will require proof of the grant of probate in order to register the transfer of the property to the beneficiary inheriting it.

You can show her on this page here to convince her. Just go to "Is a grant of probate/representation always needed?":-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Death/Preparation/DG_10029799

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom