Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I want to sell my timeshare in Malta and have been approached

I want to sell my timeshare in Malta and have been approached by a Company called INMOLEON / INMOBILIARIA LEON S.A. Are they a bone fide company or is this likely to be a scam as they want 9% of the agreed selling price up front and the property is held in Escrow.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your Question.

I assume that the below link is in fact a link to their website:-

It's not clear if they are a company or a partnership or what.

They would in effect be acting as agents and they should send you documentation first for you to examine and make an informed decision as to whether to proceed, along with verifying their credentials. It is highly irregular to ask for money first and there are a number of scams in this area who use this practice. I would treat with extreme caution, ask for documents and certainly do not transfer any money or pass account details without examining any literature they provide you with.

If they have cold-called you I would be very suspicious.

I would state that you shall not part with any money without full pre-contractual documentation, supporting literature, draft contractual documents and evidence of the status of the "company" (where it is registered, register of directors etc) before you will even consider their offer. I doubt you will hear from them. It's almost insulting that they would even ask for money without the above to be frank.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,