Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi. Ive recently had a house built on the back garden of my

Hi. I've recently had a house built on the back garden of my main home. I am looking to rent out this new build rather than sell it. Is it, therefore, necessary to get property deeds drawn up for this new house or can I just leave it to be covered by the deeds of the existing property?

Thanks for your quesiton.

I assume that you will be renting the property out on short term assured shorthold tenancy agreements. If this is the case then there is no requirement for you to apply to the land registry in order to have the property registered separately to your main home.

Were you to sell the property (or grant a very long lease) then you would have to register it separately.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,