Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I live in a flat (victorian conversion), the owner of the flat

I live in a flat (victorian conversion), the owner of the flat above has loose floorboards which creek with every step taken & noise can unbearable if more than one person is walking around -especially in the late hours. When they moved in they said they would fix these noisy boards - they havent & now I have just heard they are going to sell the flat.

Its is a share of freehold building -if I lodge a complaint management company for the building will this be brought to the attention of potential new purchasers?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If you lodge a complaint with the management company about the neighbour and the noise they are making as a result of the poorly fixed floorboards then chances are that they will reveal this in the course of the pre-contract enquiries.

When selling a leasehold flat with a management company the purchaser's conveyancer will submit management enquiries to the management company .These will deal with service charges etc but there should also be a question drafted in the enquiries which asks if there are any disputes. The management company will be duty bound to reveal this to the purchasers.

Similarly, enquiries will also be submitted to the seller/your neighbour asking if there are any disputes. If you have comminciated your complaint to them then they should reveal it.

The Purchasers will take whatever action they consider appropriate, which I shoudl think would be to ask the Seller to carry out appropriate remedial works in order to solve the problem.

If this is useful please kindly click accept. You will be free to ask follow up qusetions.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

I note you haven't clicked accept, is there any further information you require?

If you do not click accept I do not receive any credit for my time.