Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Please can you advise on the following situation. If a tenant

Please can you advise on the following situation. If a tenant has a permitted large boat in the garden and is on a periodic tenancy, can a section 21 notice be served does it need to include anything about the boat? Also construction of a new entrance will be taking place during notice period is it necessary to offer a rent reduction to avoid problems at end of tenancy
Thanks for you help
Submitted: 6 years ago via Tenancy Agreement Service.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I note you state "permitted", who's boat is it?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is the tenants boat but the landlord did give verbal permission to put it in the garden of the property.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

The presence of a boat does not alter the landlord's ability to serve notices, either s21 or s8 Housing Act 1988, the landlord can still exercise his rights in this regard and all other formalities are required but unaffected.

It would seem sensible when serving the notice to also send a letter at the same time and in the same way referring to the notice the landlord has served and asking that it will also be required that the boat be removed by upon vacation by the tenant. If the Landlord is to offer terms (ie. perhaps to permit the boat to stay temporarily longer than the tenant after vacation because of the practical difficulties inherent with removal) then these should be expressed in the letter together with a request that the tenant provide details and updates concerning the removal of the boat.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards.

Tom