Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

There is a plot of land near to our home that is unregistered

There is a plot of land near to our home that is unregistered on the land registry website. Furthermore there are no details at all on it. The land is overgrown and has been in that state for many years. Am I able to make a claim for it? It does not share a boundary with our land but is about 10 metres away at the corner of the plot.

If the land in question is unregistered then you must have been using it continuously for 12 years in order to claim possession of it and be registered as the registered proprietor at the Land Registry

If you have not been using the land as your own for this period of time then you will not be able to make a claim on it. If you wish to make a claim on the land then you should enclose the land with some simply form of partition and tend to the land. I would make sure that you get an independent third party to witness the enclosure and subsequent tending so that they can swear a statutory declaration to that effect later.

You would have to submit form ADV1 to the Land Registry together with sworn statutory declarations regarding how long you have been using the land (from you and others who know of your use) and it may be something over which you should consider taking specific legal advice from a local solicitor to ensure that the application and supporting documentation is drafted correctly.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,