Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My daughter lives in a property owned by me. Can I transfer

My daughter lives in a property owned by me. Can I transfer title to her at nil value, would stamp duty have to be paid on the market value?

Thanks for your question.

You can transfer the title to your property to your daughter (provided there is no mortgage on the property) at nil value consideration without SDLT being chargeable. Here is the HMRC confirming the same:-

Provided you no longer live at the property the transfer would be a potentially exempt transfer for IHT purposes, meaning that if you die after 7 years of the date of the transfer no IHT would be chargeable. If you live at the property then the transfer would be a 'gift with reservation of benefit' and the whole of the value of the property would be chargeable for IHT.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,