PortsmouthLaw
PortsmouthLaw, Solicitor
Experience:  I have been a solicitor, dealing with property law issues since 1981
23526331

I am a Rent Act Tenant ( 1st July 1983) with no rent arrears.

I am a Rent Act Tenant ( 1st July 1983) with no rent arrears. My original agreement states 'the letting will be for a term of six months and shall continue thereafter from month to month. My landlord has served me a Notice to Quit via a solicitor. There are no grounds given. Date due out 31st March 2011. There is no other accommodation available to me. Can I fight this and win ?

Many thanks

Chris F.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  PortsmouthLaw replied 5 years ago.

PortsmouthLaw :

Hi XXXXX tenancies were not invented until 1988 so that in order to succeed in regaining possesion of the property, the landlord must show that one of the grounds for ordering possession in schedule 2 of the Housing Act 1988 applies. Furthermore the notice must be in a set form, which specifies the ground or grounds in schedule 2 that the landlord is relying on and setting out briefly the facts on which he is relying to prove the ground(s) set out. The notice that has been served on you appears to be defective. In giving this answer,I have assumed that you are not living in the same building as the landlord. I hope this answers your question. If so, please click "accept" but do come back for more information if you need to